As a Wind Turbine Generator/Electric Machine Technician you will be responsible for performing onsite field support and in-house repair and maintenance on a variety of Wind Turbine Generators (WTG) (Permanent Magnet, Doubly-fed Asynchronous, Induction Type etc…), Electric Propulsion Machinery, and provide technical support to customers at various Wind Turbine sites in Canada and USA.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform regular or unscheduled interval maintenance, warranty repairs, onsite technical support on .7MW-6MW WTG’s.
- Provide various training to new or existing employees.
Knowledge and Experience of operating principles and the use of the following equipment
- Hydraulic presses and pullers
- Cutting machines
- Soldering and brazing
- Washing and Drying Equipment
- Usage of Cranes
- Usage of Forklift and Material handling equipment
- Curing and Burn-off ovens
- Bearing Lubrication and Installation
- Habitually work with detailed documentation to record various specifications and tolerances.
- Knowledgeable and capable of performing electrical tests (Insulation Resistance, Hi-Pot, Surge, Resistance Test, Bar to Bar, Impedance Testing and Polarity Tests).
- Knowledgeable and capable of performing mechanical tests
- Capable of reading and understanding coil and wiring circuitry diagrams and their preparation in troubleshooting and mitigating faults in AC and DC Machinery.
- Knowledge of motor dismantling, stripping and construction according to the manufacturer’s specification.
- Understanding of electric machine finishing and principles of total indicator and run-out and alignment.
- Intermediate mathematical capabilities with an understanding of tolerances and interferences as they relate to electrical rotating equipment.
- Able to follow written and verbal operating instructions.
- Understanding of Safety concepts and ISO-9001:2000 Quality Management System.
- Perform related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- 1 (one) year technical wind industry experience or 3 or more years experience working with hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical skills as they relate to rehabilitating machinery.
- Previous experience in performing Insulation Resistance Testing (Meggar), using laser alignment equipment for generator alignment, multi-meters and amperage clamps; Hydraulic tensioning equipment and torque wrenches are considered a strong asset.
- Possession of Fall Arrest training is a strong asset as well as working at heights.
- Minimum: Technical degree or diploma from an accredited North American institution with emphasis on electrical and mechanical disciplines.
- Strong asset: Wind Service Technician Diploma.
- Must have considerable mechanical and electrical aptitude relating to electrical power equipment.
- Troubleshooting/Fault finding experience is a strong asset
Essential Eligibility Requirements
- Must be fluent in verbal and written English.
- Must be 18 Years of Older.
- Ability to lift, carry, push, pull tools, materials etc… up to 50lbs in weight.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladder, up to 125 Meters or 410 Feet.
- Ability to work in extremely confined spaces.
- Must possess a valid passport.
- Must possess excellent intrapersonal and customer service skills.
- Candidate must be able to travel on little to no notice to various WTG sites in North America.
- Must possess valid G driver’s license and clean drivers abstract.
- Strong ability to work in a team environment and be a team player.
- Absolutely must not have ANY internal metal objects such as implants, pacemakers etc.
- Must possess strong spatial awareness skills, such as depth, height, colours, etc…
- Knowledge and proper use two-way radios communication devices.
- Must possess advanced exposure to Safety Training and Fall Protection Safety
- Able and willing to work in various inclement weather conditions, such as extreme heat and cold